Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Total Breakdown

Wisdom is at an all time low around here, as are free time, physical and emotional health, and functioning sinks. My man declared last week that he feels as close as he ever has to breakdown - stress, overwork, undersleep, guilt. He tried to cure himself with a nap, but I think it would take an uninterrupted year of sleep to send him into complete remission.

Yesterday I spent the day trying to tune myself up. I had appointments with the optometrist, the dentist and the doctor. Now I have new eyeglasses ordered to replace my well-loved but very mangled ones (goodbye Theo, hello Woodlook!) and a small pharmacy of drugs to cure my toothache* that was induced by a sinus infection. Who knew this was possible? Ah, the miracle of the human body.

On the positive side, our car is back from the shop and seems to be functioning well, and just today we were able to open our "summer bathroom" for another season of use. The greywater pipes had frozen in the dead of winter, and we made the decision to simply close the door and retreat to the first floor washroom which is itself riddled with problems.

A friend of ours mentioned that she keeps a to-do list of home maintenance jobs on her fridge. At the top of mine it would say "buy another fridge" because one would not be large enough to hold my seemingly endless list. I find comfort, however, in the fact that even if there are a million things to be done around here, one million is a finite number, and thus an end to all this work could be reached. Now that's wisdom you can count on.

(* A toothache, or a violent passion, is not necessarily diminished by our knowledge of its causes, its character, its importance or insignificance. T.S. Eliot)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Tammy - while you feel wisdom is lost, I find it in your words! Who knew the physical, mental and emotional challenges of parenthood before the journey began? I am sorry to hear about your toothache, eager to see your new specs and validated to know that other parents feel that breakdown is maybe a thread or two away. We would probably have optimistically taken on the challenge regardless! Spring break has been good for reconnecting with all of the members of my family...and I am left wondering...just how do we manage to accomplish all the daily tedium tasks when we are working 5 days a week? Another ordinary miracle, I suppose.