Monday, July 7, 2008

Oh Well

For anyone left wondering, no, I didn't fall into an anxiety induced coma after my last post. Typically I like to overdo things and end up in a real pickle, and this time I caught myself. I actually went about my creative work in a non-frenzied way, devising a simple plan that I could execute in the time remaining. So yes, a miracle happened.

Just in case it didn't, I performed with a paper bag over my head. Video taped segments of my mouth talking spoke in my stead, so I didn't even have to worry about forgetting lines or even being present, really. Perfect for someone who doesn't like performing.

It went off reasonably well, although I think my reflections on parenting may have fallen a bit flat with the largely child-free crowd. I also had sound problems (ie. too quiet) that were only resolved in my last reading. I had anticipated this issue, but, like a person who just leaves their bike unlocked for a minute, thinking they should make the effort to lock it but then doesn't, and runs into the store to grab a drink only to find the bike stolen upon their return.... well, you get the idea. I should have dealt with the technical issues ahead of time but for some reason - tiredness, denial, negligence - I didn't.


Oh well, she shrugs, hopefully, prayerfully, at the day's end.

1 comment:

Patty-Jean from LittleQuiver said...

i'd like to know more about your 'creative work'. are you writing a book? part of a writers group? the mouth thing reminds me of Tete a Claques; i think it's spelled that way. talk soon.