Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Happiness Is...

A few weeks ago, I decided to be happy. I think it may have happened during a phone conversation with a good friend. When she inevitably began the call with "Comment ca va?" (How's it going?), I just as predictably answered, "Pas mal." (Not bad.) It's become somewhat of a joke between us and often she answers her own question for me before I can stammer out the words. My struggle with the French language cannot be held solely to blame for my overuse of this phrase. I can be a bit of a glass-half-empty kind of gal at times.

Well, I finally got sick of feeling irritable and frustrated all the time and decided to be happy. There's no sense continuously fighting my situation (being a mostly stay-at-home mom who does too little art work and whose professional life is suffering.) I don't want to look back in ten years time (the blink of an eye, I'm told) and realize only too late what a blessed time of life this was - irreplaceable, tender, wonder-full. I really want to cherish every beautiful stage of my boys' lives, of our life together, and not regret time wasted in pining or striving for what I don't have.

This weekend we spent time out at the cottage with family. My mother-in-law was reading a self-help type book called Happy For No Reason by Marci Shimoff, and of course, I picked it up and read most of it. The cover photo and total lack of political/systemic analysis aside, I thought she offered some solid advice on how to experience more happiness in life. Two things I'm immediately putting into practice are 1) cultivating a sense of gratitude and 2) drinking lots of water. Yes, I know, what an absurd combination of the grand with the mundane. I won't go into the details - you can ask me or read the book yourself - but I'm already feeling better.

The last few times my friend has called me and asked how I'm doing, I've answered with a solid "Bien" (Good.) Maybe I'll throw in an "Excellent" or "Formidable" next time just to mix her up! So now, a toast to happiness! And don't forget to be grateful and drink plenty of liquids!


2 comments:

Patty-Jean from LittleQuiver said...

Ca c'est interessent! Actually back in Selah's tantrum stage we discovered that tantrums were more likely when she was either in terrible thirst, or had to go to the bathroom. I agree with your author - not that we should fake it till we make it or be false...but i have definately seen how my "little mirror" (with curly hair) pays careful attention to how i'm coming across. yuck what an attitude she has, oh that's my attitude, than i'm surprised how easy it is actually to change it musceling it!

Anonymous said...

Hi Tammy,
Check out this blog
http://www.happiness-project.com/

Congratulations on your new resolution!

Karen T.