Saturday, March 8, 2008

Health Food Nut

Well, I've decided to become a health food nut. Since I can't seem to do anything by halves, and I've become increasingly concerned about this family's diet, I think the only reasonable solution is a radical conversion. You see, in my Pre-Family Life (PFL) I used to.... exercise (gasp). I would run three or more times a week, do weights and cardio at the gym two or three times weekly, walk a half-hour each way to school or work nearly every day, sometimes swim or hike or bike or..., etc. My idea of a treat was a couple of small pieces of super dark chocolate beside a nice black cup of tea (decaf!) in the evening. I had even started meditating.

That all came to an end three years ago, and I've never been the same. I've found that when one thing goes, the whole house of cards comes falling down. In the little free time I have, I prioritize art or, more recently, journalling in this blog. Now I'm feeling more out of shape and run-down than I ever have.

A few weeks ago I was speaking with a mom-friend, and we both agreed to run the relay in the city marathon this June. While it isn't a great distance, I thought it might be what I need to motivate me to start running again. Actually, I did try to pick up running again last summer after my second son was born and was brought down by a knee injury only three weeks into it. Darn. I'd bought new shoes and socks and everything! So I'm going to try and ease into it more slowly this time around, with more emphasis on stretching.

In terms of the daily diet, my man and I brainstormed a list of healthy options for breakfast, lunch and snacks. I find it hard to think on my feet with two kids under foot, and such lists have been a brilliant help to me in the past. We went grocery shopping today and bought a lot of great yummy staples.

So I'm hopeful. Exercise and eating well have been so critical to my mental and physical health in the past. Sometimes I think I should just cool it until my life lightens up a little and the kids have another year under their belts. But another part of me is afraid that year after year will slip by, and suddenly I'll be a totally decrepit old lady and the journey back into fitness will be much more daunting. So with you as my witness, health food nuttiness, here I come!

1 comment:

Patty-Jean from LittleQuiver said...

welcome to the club - my club is the roller coaster one...well i grew up on every diet that i can think of...my mom had us on the atkins diet in the early 90s, then is was food combinations, vegetarian, vegan...i carry it on...as for exercise........sigh......its a journey i guess - in my defense - i think i lack space to move - really patty-jean! lately ive been making lists-what i wanna get done each week, each day - creative, physically, home wise...build, build, build and then they all come tumbling done, and then we build, build, build - sounds like a kids song.
the last couple of months ive been following a traditional foods menu plan - going ok - see you this morning hopefully.....with my-sigh-tim hortons.